Friday, November 19, 2010

The F Word

That's right, frogging! For those of you who aren't knitters, frogging is when you have to rip out some knitted work. It's called frogging because you have to "rip it, rip it..."

I HATE frogging. It's fun to do, but it's so hard to see your hours of hard work unravel away in minutes. It pains me. That's why I was having such a hard time understanding how one of the women from my knitting meetup didn't seem to have any trouble at all. She showed me a sweater that she had been working on and all that was missing were the sleeves. Then she looked at me, shrugged, and said, "I think I'm just going to frog the whole thing." I think my eyes might have popped out of my head. She was so nonchalant about it, like it was no big deal. When I expressed my sorrow for her hard work that was all about to be for nothing, she said she wasn't really worried about it because she went into the project thinking that this might happen anyway.

All of this to say that I am proud of myself for frogging just the toes of my socks. Thank you G for your guts and positive attitude about frogging.

Why I thought 7.5 inches was long enough for my socks(when it usually takes 9 inches) beats me. I think I was just so proud of myself for finishing a sock in 24 hours. I guess that's no longer true because it wasn't really finished. After the first sock was "done" I told myself that it would just be a very fitted sock. As I was working on the second sock, I told myself that maybe I would just give them to someone with smaller feet. As I got to the toe of the second sock, I decided that I had put enough effort into these socks to rip out the toe and do it right. I mean, it's not like it was almost a whole sweater.

Here is the comparison of the two socks:

Photobucket

As you can see, the the socks are lined up and the one top is much shorter.

I'm really glad I fixed the short sock (that looked like it was meant for a child). Can't wait to wear them :)

No comments: