Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A New Year

I'm bringing in the new year with a finished project. A Christmas present from last year (but not as late at that makes it sound). I just mailed it off today and I am SO ready to move beyond socks.

The yarn is STR from Blue Moon Fiber and the colorway is called Tidepooling.

Photobucket

The pattern is Seedy Rib Socks.

Photobucket

The way the coloring turned out is interesting. I love the colors, but I'm still deciding on whether or not I like the way the colors worked up on the foot. Hopefully the recipient enjoys them!

Photobucket

I was getting nervous that I was going to run out of yarn as I was nearing the end of the second sock. Here is what I had left:

Photobucket

I've seen much closer calls, but it was still very nerve-racking to me.

After reading Frugal Family Fun blog, I started thinking about what I could do with some recyclables that I had around the house and came up with this:

Photobucket

I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar container used this way before, but I was proud of myself for making it and adding the fabric to dress it up a little bit. It keeps the yarn neat and a little more hidden from some curious cats around here.

I wanted to also post a Christmas gift that I received this year:

Photobucket

I love it! It is so perfect. The only one of those four things that I haven't been doing is grading. Due to layoffs, I don't need time to grade and I have more time to knit (if you want to see the bright side of losing your job...)

To celebrate New Year's this year, we went to Reno with some friends. We usually just stay in or go to a friend's house nearby. Since some friends invited us and it is our first year as a married couple we decided to go.

The drive up was beautiful and no chains were necessary:

Photobucket

We celebrated our first "married" New Year's:

Photobucket

And the drive home wasn't quite as beautiful (if not a little scary in a Honda), but still did not need chains:

Photobucket

Hope everyone had a happy and safe New Year's!

No comments: