Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I ROCK!

I am currently in a credential program to get my Teaching Credential. I started student teaching (working in the classroom with an experienced teacher) at the end of September. I was placed in a 5/6 combination class. This school is brand new and this is only their second year being open. Needless to say, it is beautiful and I totally lucked out. I do the Spelling pre-test and test every week, I did Language Arts lessons with a small group of ESL students last week and this week I started doing the Math lessons with the 5th graders.

As a student teacher, you are assigned a supervisor who observes you teaching a lesson in the classroom 4 times during each placement. Today was my first observation and I did an awesome job. I was very nervous (as I tend to do often is these kinds of situations) about my first observation (and probably will be about every one to follow). The kids were well behaved, engaged and totally understood the lesson. I couldn't have asked for a better first observation or a better group of kids. My supervisor said that I was very organized, well-prepared and spoke to the students with respect and in turn got respect back from them. She seemed to be very impressed with my lesson. Oh yeah, and I did I mention that on top of all of that I'm sick?? This is why I ROCK!!

So far, I am really enjoying student teaching and look forward to having my own class someday. Wish me luck on the rest of my observations! I've definitely set the bar high, so hopefully I can keep it!

To celebrate my success of the day, I am going to sit and knit after finish reading for at least one class for school tomorrow. Better yet, I will read and knit at the same time. It makes the reading slightly less dry and the boring stockinette part of the sock go by faster as well :)

2 comments:

knittingma said...

Congratulations! That's great. I'm sure you're going to make one sweet teacher. :)

brunhilda said...

I have never been able to knit and read at the same time. This is yet another reason why you rock!